bookshores

I read, I write, and I majored in German and Muggle Studies. my favorite genres are historical fiction, science fiction, and fantasy. Lookout for reviews of the YA and MG persuasions!

SHIP BREAKER Draws the Reader in Faster than the Tides

Ship Breaker - Paolo Bacigalupi

I finished reading Paolo Bacigalupi's Ship Breaker a few days ago, and was immensely relieved yesterday to find its companion book, The Drowned Cities at the local library.

The story was gripping, inventive, and thrilling, and the characters were just as memorable as the eerie, distant future constructed by Mr. Bacigalupi. We meet Nailer, a young scavenger of obsolete vessels, living in an unforgiving landscape decorated with the wrecks of the bygone era of petrol. We get to know his unpredictable and terrifying father, and his tough but loyal friend Pima.

Nailer struggles with the choice he's faced with when a storm brings the wreck of a beautiful clipper ship festooned with wealth just within his reach. It's surely the closest thing that Nailer will ever come to a ticket out of his bleak future.

You can't help but root for Nailer, and you can't help but be entranced by the haunting terrain of the Gulf Coast.

Readers who like thrillers that read at a good clip, or stories with innovative settings will snap this one right up. It would also appeal to those looking for a good coming of age story, and readers who like fiction with speculative history. Note that the violence, depictions of drugs, and some unsettling medical scenarios  might be considered too brutal for some younger readers.

The storyline isn't predictable, and I know it kept me turning page, after page.

Incarnate