bookshores

I read, I write, and I majored in German and Muggle Studies. my favorite genres are historical fiction, science fiction, and fantasy. Lookout for reviews of the YA and MG persuasions!

Out of The Easy - Ruta Sepetys The Knife of Never Letting Go  - Patrick Ness The Opposite of Hallelujah - Anna Jarzab

my three favorite reads of 2013

It's time for an obligatory, late "end of year" post!

The three books I enjoyed the most this year are all in the YA category-- Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, and of course, The Opposite of Hallelujah by Anna Jarzab. Three completely different genres, but all for the YA/MG audience.

The first rests squarely in the historical fiction category. I've never been to New Orleans, and I certainly have never been to the 1950s, but Ruta Sepetys recreated the atmosphere in a really enchanting way--and the story was poignant as well.

The second title orbits the speculative/sci-f-/dystopian category, and in this case, I fell in love with the narrator's distinctive voice. It was sharp, it was vivid, and it might as well have been fueled by liquid hydrogen--not to mention that the plot was fascinating!

Normally I don't pick up many contemporary YA titles, but The Opposite of Hallelujah really grabbed me. It wrestles with a subject that many teen books go out of their way to avoid--religion--in such a heartfelt and intelligent way that I was suitably impressed. Not only that, but the family within the pages was nearly a living, breathing organism itself.

What am I looking forward to this year?

I want to read a really gripping YA fantasy that recalls my excitement at picking up a new Tamora Pierce book at my school's library. If only!

Incarnate